World Spine Day 2018 encourages you to #loveyourback and to #straightenup&move. What can you do to show your back you love it?
Straighten up & move
- Sit up tall – follow our guidelines to ensure your desk and chair are properly set up to help you protect your back
- Walk and talk rather than sit for long periods (either in meetings, on email or on the phone)
- Lift safely – bend your knees not your back.
- Exercise – physical activity to get those joints moving is essential.
Love your spine
- Exercise reduces inflammation, and muscle tension
- Reduce these reduces inflammation
- white carbohydrates, such as white bread, pasta, pastry
- fried food
- fizzy drinks
- processed and red meat
- certain fats – margarine
- Increase these foods that fight inflammation
- fruits – blueberries, strawberries, oranges, cherries,
- raw nuts – walnuts, almonds etc
- olive oil
- leafy greens – spinach kale etc
- fatty fish – salmon, mackerel, tuna, sardines
- Reduce stress and reduce muscle tension